Monday, December 22, 2008

In classic Jordy fashion...

... I have been spending way too much time thinking about where I'm going for my farewell dinner on December 31st. I've done a little shortlisting.
  • Dreamland (so far the frontrunner)
  • Milo's
  • Costa's
  • Highlands Grill (yeah, I know, but have you seen the menu? It's a vegetarian's nightmare!)
  • Green Acres or Eagles
  • Irondale Cafe
  • The Penguin (yes, I would drive 400 miles for a Southern-style Full-Blown Hemi. You would too.)
  • Davenport's Pizza Palace
  • Sekisui
  • The Bright Star
  • Lovoy's
This isn't a list of my favorite restaurants; they're the places that I will without a doubt not be able to enjoy. Try going into the Irondale Cafe and asking whether or not they use animal fat to fry their green tomatoes. I'll wait here for you.

While I am vegan my choices will be slim concerning Birmingham restaurants, and that's nothing I wouldn't expect. It's not like this is Atlanta, where a vegan soul food restaurant exists. (That is an oxymoron if I ever did hear one. Sorry, but soul food must by definition incorporate pig guts.) Where will I be able to eat? I'm anticipating a lot of tempeh quesadillas at the Golden Temple, but I may also check the specs on the Purple Onion (where I usually eat with my vegetarian friends, forgetting that I don't like falafel every time), Taj India, the Surins, and Nabeel's. And this will be a good chance to finally try out the deli at Tria Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment