Tuesday, December 30, 2008

More Thoughts on Juicing

One of the downsides of making your own juice, and I guess it's self-evident, is that you have to pulverize a LOT of fruit to get just a little juice. Last night we ground up half a pineapple and a mango, and mixed in the watery milk from a freshly cracked coconut; it yielded two small but substantial glasses of delectable Vitamin C-rich sustenance. But we were left with a container full of pulp, which we were about to throw away before I decided to taste it. It's good! I saved it and ate it for breakfast this morning.

I imagine there are several creative ways you could utilize the leftover pulp. The pineapple and mango pulp that I ate could have also made a very tasty sorbet if frozen. Carrot pulp could be used in carrot cake (we all know how much it sucks to grate your own carrots). And the grinds from an all-vegetable juicing could make a hearty starter for a vegetable soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment