Sunday, February 1, 2009

Day 29: Dinner

I always load up on the kung pao chicken when I go to the Chinese buffet, where sodium and MSG are used more liberally than they should. Now that those days are over, I really enjoyed this fresh kung pao tofu. One of the best Chinese meals I've had in a while.

Here's the recipe:
  • 12 ounces of tofu, drained (you can also use seitan or tempeh)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup peanuts (or cashews)
  • 1/4 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp. sugar (I used agave nectar)
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch (or arrowroot)
  • 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1. Stir fry tofu and garlic in a sprayed skillet (I used sesame oil) for about three minutes. The tofu will begin to brown.

2. Add bell peppers and onion. Stir fry until soft.

3. Mix last six ingredients and add to skillet, stirring until sauce is thick.

4. Add peanuts, stir to coat, and serve over brown rice.

You will definitely like this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment