Thursday, February 26, 2009

Day 54: Dinner

Oh yeah! It looks delicious, and it was delicious. Black eyed peas, short grain brown rice, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, and the perfect blend of seasonings. 100% organic and certified vegan. Unfortunately, I can't give you the recipe. In fact, I didn't make this. It's an Amy's frozen dinner- one of the bowls. 

Am I getting lazy or what? Will this website come down to nothing but reviews of frozen vegan dinners? Nah... but I haven't felt like cooking lately.

So this blog will look good on the read-through, let me rant about something else that's not food-related, but is related to a conversation I overheard today at work. It pisses me off when someone says a child is "brilliant" just because they prefer reading over watching television or playing video games. I was one of those kids, and everyone (all the way up to my parents) thought I was antisocial and weird, yet today reading is so remarkably unpopular among the younger set that any kid who likes reading is a genius. Geez.

Let's put it in perspective. If your eleven year old child reads AND understands Pynchon, Balzac, or A Brief History of Time, it is safe to say that you've got yourself a genius. (The "understands" part is important. I read Crime and Punishment when I was twelve. Did I "get" it? Not for about five years.) If the child can put down Poe, Dickinson, and maybe some of Mark Twain's more elusive works, they have potential (but don't get your hopes up). A child who likes Louisa May Alcott, Judy Blume, The Chronicles of Narnia, and the Harry Potter series is about where they need to be- and where your kid should be if they're not. But if your child reads nothing but Goosebumps, Sweet Valley High, and those obnoxious manga novels, then sorry, but they're no better than the neighbor's kid who spends seven hours a day with their Xbox. Some people really need positive assurance that they're good parents, but don't delude yourself. Okay, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment