Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Vegan Nutrition For Dummies, Part Two

A couple of months ago, after I first started this blog, I wrote an entry on vegan nutrition- the vitamins and minerals that are deficient in a plant based diet and that vegans need to supplement themselves with. Sadly, I did not heed my own advice. Drats.

The other day I complained about my jaw aching. It does hurt quite a bit, and I dare say it's gotten worse since the beginning of the year. (I definitely do not have TMJ. I spoke to my dentist about just that only a few weeks ago, and she checked me for it. That's not the problem.) Someone told me that my perpetually sore jaw could be a result of a calcium deficiency. I had a great aunt who had severe osteoporosis, so I can concur that it's no fun at all- but it's the sort of thing that a not yet thirty person sees their self as being invincible to. Let's not be foolish here.

So in addition to my daily multivitamin (which in spite of being a women's multivitamin doesn't have the full RDA of calcium) I have begun taking calcium (fortified with Vitamin D), Vitamin B complex (vegans never get enough of those), and Vitamins C and E. This will strengthen my bones, enrich my blood, and improve my immune system (it's a sign when I actually get sick twice in one winter). I feel better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment