Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Day 45: Dinner


So I am starting to accomplish my "short-term goals." The first was beef stew (lately I have had a dearth of freezer-friendly leftovers, and I must have something to eat for lunch). Although the recipe called for chunky "beef-style" TVP, I gave into the urge to use Boca crumbles- they're made from the same thing as Boca burgers, just in ground beef form. I do wish they made vegan beef tips, but these did the trick.

You have probably noticed that I'm drinking a beer. I don't drink beer a whole lot but yes, Guinness is my favorite beer, and I prefer it at room temperature. (There's nothing on God's green earth sexier than a woman who drinks thick, dark, warm, cloudy, bitter beer. Fellas, am I right or am I right?) But Guinness is not vegan (isinglass). This recipe called for half a cup of stout (I had to buy a whole bottle, and I elected to drink the balance rather than pouring it down the sink) and unfortunately, Guinness is the only brand of stout sold at the Birmingham Whole Foods on a piecemeal basis. Can you believe that?! There ARE vegan stouts, but the most common is not among them.

Anyway, this beef stew is thick, rich, and hearty, just like a regular beef stew. I suggest serving it to your favorite carnivore and not telling him until he's done. I like to eat mine over rice, but it's a matter of personal choice- you can do it either way. Between the rice, the potatoes, and the high glycemic carrots and peas, it's an Atkins follower's nightmare. Enjoy!
  • 1 large potato, chopped
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce or Bragg's
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 cup "ground beef" crumbles (or TVP)
  • 2 tbsp. non-hydrogenated margarine
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (yeah, I know)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard (I omitted this because I'm allergic)
  • 1/2 tsp. ground sage
  • 1/4 cup tomato puree
  • 1/2 cup stout beer
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
1. Boil potatoes in water, soy sauce, and onion powder until tender. (If you do this first they'll be ready about when it's time to add them to the stew.)

2. Saute onion, carrot, and leek in a stockpot with margarine until tender (about 10 minutes). Add flour, yeast, salt, pepper, mustard and sage.

3. Gradually stir in potatoes and the liquid they're cooked in. Heat until simmering.

4. Add "beef," tomato puree, beer and peas. Simmer, stirring often, 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment