Sunday, January 18, 2009

I REALLY Cheated This Time

Remember when I said that I just can't read my Sunday paper without a cup of coffee? Well, the boyfriend can't see a movie on the big screen without a bag of popcorn. So when we went to the movies last night he asked me, "Can I PLEASE get some popcorn? PLEEEASE?" I made it clear to him that his choice to follow me on this diet was his, and he was free to eat whatever he wanted. It's just too bad that I can't sit next to someone with a bag of popcorn and not eat a few bites. What am I saying, I probably ate at least a third of his popcorn during the movie.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest published a famous report in 1994 about the dangers of movie theater popcorn, which stated that a large popcorn had the saturated fat of six Big Macs (eight if you order it with that greasy fake butter liquid poured on top). This was mainly due to the fact that it's typically popped in coconut oil, which gives it its distinctive flavor. Oddly, in countries where coconut oil is a staple (such as in the Philippines) heart disease rates are relatively low. But here in the States, it's dangerous.

Well, once I got home I thought since I'd cheated once I may as well again. So instead of cooking a full meal I heated up a box of Morningstar Farms buffalo wings and ate them with ranch dressing. I still haven't eaten any meat, but the original pretense of my resolution was temporarily abandoned.

What concerns me a bit is that this morning I don't really feel that bad. My boyfriend called me earlier in the week to confess that, while hungry and in a hurry, he stopped at Wendy's and ordered a #1 Value Meal. He couldn't even finish half of it, because it tasted so horrible, and when he got out of his car he vomited in the parking lot. Why am I not vomiting?!

So I made a mistake. All I can do is pick up and continue the original course.

No comments:

Post a Comment