Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 10: Dinner

Vegan gumbo just isn't right... I learned tonight that you can't make a proper roux without butter. It just won't thicken properly with olive oil. This was more like a soup than a thick, spicy okra and sausage stew. Speaking of sausage... I used vegetarian chorizo. (That's right, vegetarian- I accidentally bought a variety containing a small amount of egg white powder. I gotta remember to check the ingredients next time.) Chorizo is a dry, breadlike sausage to begin with, but this was really dry. 

Still not too bad. I would recommend chopping it a little finer than I did, and using more than the allotted one cup of okra. (By the way, "gumbo" is a native African word meaning "okra," which is why I find it hilarious to see a gumbo recipe that doesn't even call for okra.)

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, you are one of the most interesting people I've ever met. How did you find out about the meaning of Okra???

    ReplyDelete