Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day 3: Dinner

Ah, taking a picture of my dinner every day for the whole Internet to see. I feel like a Google employee.

Tonight it was roasted root vegetables with quinoa and sauteed bok choy with onions. I'd say it was pretty yum. The beets, carrots, and sweet onions gave my palate a hint of sweetness that it had been lacking for the last three days. (It's only been three days?! It feels like so much longer!) Of course, beets are going to overpower any dish as well as impart their unique red-purple color. I had never tasted parsnips before (they're really not a staple in the American South) but they had a unique flavor- I'd say the jury's out on that one. Rosemary was used generously in this dish. It's an herb that's probably more notable for its aroma than its flavor, though it's always good for roasting. It really gave my whole kitchen a woodsy ambiance.

This is the first dish that I have made with quinoa. Like amaranth, it's an ancient cereal grain, but it's much better in my opinion. A little fluffier, and very well-suited for a good pilaf. Hmmm... there's an idea for later in the week, I think.

1 comment:

  1. These awesome pictures reminded me of the google lunch pics on flickr!!! The pictures are so tantalizing, like google lunch. I'm impressed with your delicious food and ambition to be vegan!

    ReplyDelete