Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 5: Breakfast

I am learning to love breakfast again.

Today I made an extra large bowl of oatmeal. It was Quaker Oats- I didn't feel like going to Whole Foods and Publix doesn't sell organic oats- but it was at least the kind that came in the cardboard canister and took a full five minutes to cook. And I did cook it on the stove... I have not sold out completely yet!

Oatmeal is a good source of fiber, but not quite as much as the more eclectic grains that I've been eating (four grams per serving as opposed to seven), so I saw fit to throw in a spoonful of flaxseed. To cut the bitter taste I also stirred in some cinnamon, a handful of walnuts and- shoot me- a dollop of maple syrup. Seriously, it was a half-second pour! 

All-natural organic pure maple syrup is permissible in a detox diet in very small amounts; it can actually be beneficial, because its high zinc and manganese content help coddle the immune system. Nonetheless, I think I will pick up a bottle of agave nectar next time I go shopping. It doesn't spike blood sugar levels like maple syrup does.

No comments:

Post a Comment