Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The First Major Test

At my place of employment birthdays are celebrated with a cake. And not just any cake either- a cake from Edgar's Bakery. This place makes some damn fine baked desserts, I am not afraid to say, and I felt very special when I was purchased the Chocolate Decadence cake for my own birthday last June. What can I say- if the cake is hedonistic and unhealthy enough it can make any girl feel like a princess.

Today one of the salesmen celebrated his own birthday, and it was complete with a moist yellow cake with caramel icing, and lots of vanilla ice cream to go around. The good news is, caramel is my least favorite cake. The bad news is, it's still a cake, so I still like it. I just stood and watched everyone else eat theirs. Tons of fun.

What was even more difficult? Twice today I walked through the lobby of my building, forced to glance at the candy dish filled to the brim with red- and green-foiled Reese's Cups. I had to grind my teeth to avoid grabbing a handful. I can only imagine that narcotics withdrawal has its similar moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment