Sunday, January 11, 2009

One Week Later

Well, I've made it through a week with no meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, preservatives or artificial anything. The only sweetener I have had is a little pure maple syrup in my oatmeal, and the only fats I've consumed are olive and sesame oils. I have only had one sip of alcohol, which was only one sip because I couldn't finish one glass of wine. I'm changing.

Do I feel better? I'd say yes. I haven't been quite as tired, nor quite as demotivated. I haven't had the digestive trouble I've had in the past. I feel properly nourished, though I do have hunger pains occasionally.

I have however become convinced that it is animal products that make food taste good. I think it is butter that I miss the most (I thought it would be cheese). 

Well, one down, seven more to go. I think this week I will try some more traditional American foods, rather than just health nut-type stuff. Tonight I plan on making some killer BLTs, using "fakin' bacon" and Nayonaise.

2 comments:

  1. Nayonaise?

    Also, while I'm thinking about it, I've been eating Nature's Path Organic cereals for a while. Do they count as vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nayonaise is a brand of vegan mayonnaise... although the brand I ended up buying today was called Veganaise.

    I am not sure about Nature's Path cereals. You'll have to read the ingredients to be sure, although most all-natural cereals are. You'll have to eat it with soy milk, of course.

    ReplyDelete