Friday, January 9, 2009

Day 6: Dinner

Yes, I know it looks like it's been partially eaten, because it has. I forgot to take my picture until I'd already had a few bites.

Tonight I had my first tempeh experience. It's okay. A little bit lumpy, as can be expected. The fermenting agents can be readily tasted; I think I will try some of the other flavors made by this same brand. Tonight's tempeh was plain, seasoned with olive oil and soy sauce.

It's a very simple food to prepare. To cook tempeh, cut it into fingers (like I did), marinate it briefly in a mixture of olive oil and soy sauce, and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. It has a dry, grainy texture, similar to boiled peanuts (though not quite as good). 

I also had steamed squash and a very yummy quinoa pilaf. The pilaf was worthy of a recorded recipe.
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 a red onion, chopped
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups filtered water
  • 2 teaspoons naturally brewed soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions, carrots, and quinoa until slightly brown. 

2. Add the garlic, soy sauce and water. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. 

3. Add the peas about 5 minutes before finish; then allow to sit for 5 more minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment